MITTEILUNGEN


Einführung


Geschichte


Veranstaltungen


Die Orgel


Förderverein


Standort


Kontakt


Historic
Chapels
Trust



 

NOTICES

Every First Thursday of the month, 1.00pm
Organ Recital by Tim Roe or Associate

2014

More information about talks and presentations coming soon.

Thursday 18th September
6.00pm for 6.30pm
Tickets £5 on the door

“All Ship Shape and Blackwall-fashion, Part II 1850 to 2014”
A talk by Jeremy Batch of the Cruising Association
Saturday 20th September
Sunday 21st September
1pm – 4pm


London Open House Days
incl. “Germans in Britain” Exhibition by the Migration Museum Project
 
Thursday 2nd October
6.00pm for 6.30pm
Tickets £5 on the door

“Germans who fought for Britain in WWII”
A talk by Helen fry who is researching the subject
Thursday 18th November
6.00pm for 6.30pm

“Christmas Carols - what are they, and where did they come from?”
A talk by Philip Norman, Director of
The London Sangerstevne International Choral Festival
Wednesday 3rd December
6.30pm for 7.00pm

Christmas Carols – with the London Gallery Quire

Tickets £6 on the door
Light refreshments afterwards. Talks £5 on the door.Please make cheques payable to
Friends of St. George's German Lutheran church
The interior of the church, seen from the organ gallery. This picture shows the extensive galleries and the altar.
Das Innere der Kirche von der Orgel
aus gesehen. Das Foto zeigt den Altarraum und
die Seitenemporen.
Introduction

St. George's German Lutheran Church is the oldest surviving German Church in Britain. The church closed for regular worship in 1996 when it was taken into care by The Historic Chapels Trust. Although it is still occasionally used for church services by the German community from London and the surrounding area, it is now principally used for concerts, lectures, meetings, and a place of historical study. St George's German Lutheran Church is a unique testament to common heritage shared by two nations, both in the past and in the present.

The photographs on this site have been copied from a number of sites on the internet. As many of these pictures appear on several sites, it is not possible to easily find and contact the copyright-holder for permission to use their photograph. It you see YOUR photograph on this site, and you want it removed, this will be done immediately. However, in view of what this site is trying to achieve, perhaps you will permit us to continue to use your photograph without charge or restriction.
Einführung

Die St. Georgs Kirche ist das älteste noch bestehende deutsche Kirchengebäude in Großbritannien. Die Kirche schloss 1996 für regelmäßige Gottesdienste und wurde vom Historic Chapels Trust übernommen. Gelegentlich wird sie noch für Gottesdienste der deutschen Gemeinden aus London und Umgebung benutzt, sie steht aber jetzt hauptsächlich für Konzerte, Vorträge, Tagungen, und historische Studien zur Verfügung. Die St Georgs Kirche ist ein einzigartiges Zeugnis des gemeinsamen Erbes von zwei Nationen, sowohl in der Vergangenheit als auch in der Gegenwart.

Die Fotos auf dieser Webseite wurden verschiedenen Seiten des Internets entnommen. Da viele dieser Bilder auf mehreren Webseiten zu finden sind, war ist es nicht immer möglich die Copyright-Inhaber zu finden und um Genehmigung zur Verwendung ihres Bildes zu ersuchen. Falls Sie IHR Foto auf dieser Webseite sehen und es entfernt haben wollen, werden wir das sofort tun. Aber falls Sie uns helfen wollen unsere Ziele zu erreichen und die Kirche einer grösseren Öffentlichkeit bekannt zu machen, würden Sie es uns vielleicht weiterhin erlauben, ihre Fotos ohne Gebühren und Beschränkungen auf dieser Webseite zu benutzen.
Pastor Dr Gustavus Anthony [Gustav Anton] Wachsel (born Halberstadt c. 1735; died London 3 May 1799 aged 64), the first Pastor of St. George's.

Pastor Dr Gustavus Anthony [Gustav Anton] Wachsel (geboren in Halberstadt circa 1735; gestorben in London 3. Mai 1799 im Alter von 64 Jahren), der erste Pfarrer von St. Georg.

History

St George's dates from 1762-3. The congregation was founded by Dederich Beckmann, a wealthy sugar boiler and father-in-law of the first pastor. It served as a religious centre for generations of German immigrants who worked in the East End sugar refineries and in the meat and baking trades until their expulsion during the First World War (1915).

Inside, the church retains a remarkable and mostly original series of furnishings. These include a complete set of ground floor and gallery pews and a magnificent, high, central double-decker pulpit and sounding board. On the wall above hangs the coat-of-arms of King George III (pre-1801) and two carved timber Commandment Boards in German. The Royal Arms, once enjoined to be erected in all Anglican churches, and adopted by others as a mark of loyalty, also recall a connection with the Duchess of Kent, mother of Queen Victoria, who was Patron of the adjacent German and English schools from 1819. There are 18th and 19th-century memorials and stained glass of great interest and a fine German Walcker organ.

From 1998 to 2004 major repairs costing nearly £900,000 were completed by the Historic Chapels Trust, including the restoration of the organ.

The building was officially re-opened by HRH The Duke of Gloucester on 24 September 2004. The event was attended by approximately 300 guests.

During the Nazi period in Germany St George's pastor, Julius Rieger, set up a relief centre for Jewish refugees from Germany who were provided with references to travel to England.

The leading theologian and anti-Nazi activist Dietrich Bonhoeffer was also associated with the work of St George’s when Bonhoeffer was pastor at the nearby German Reformed St Paul’s Church between 1933 and 1935. The former congregation marked the centenary of Bonhoeffer’s birth with a well attended service in February 2006 and the BBC filmed Songs of Praise here in June 2006, which told the story of Bonhoeffer and his lifetime’s achievements.

Geschichte

St George wurde 1762-3 gegründet und ist das älteste noch bestehende deutsche Kirchengebäude in Großbritannien. Die Gemeinde wurde von Dederich Beckmann, einem wohlhabenden Zuckerfabrikanten und Schwiegervater des ersten Pfarrers gegründet. Es diente als religiöses Zentrum für Generationen von deutschen Einwanderern, die in den East End Zuckerfabriken und in deutschen Metzgereien und Bäckereien gearbeitet haben. Die deutsche Kolonie bestand im East End bis zu ihrer Ausweisung im Ersten Weltkrieg (1915).

Im Inneren der Kirche sind viele ursprüngliche Inneneinrichtungen erhalten. Unter anderem die orginal Kirchenbänke im Erdgeschoss und auf den Emporen und die prachtvolle doppelt hohe Kanzel mit Resonanzdach. An der Wand darüber hängt das Wappen König Georges III (von vor 1801) und zwei geschnitzte Holztafeln mit den Zehn Geboten auf Deutsch. Das Königliche Wappen, einst errichtet in allen anglikanischen Kirchen und auch von anderen als Zeichen der Loyalität übernommen, erinnern auch an die Verbindung mit der Herzogin von Kent, der Mutter Königin Victorias, die Patronin der benachbarten deutschen und englischen Schule (gegründet 1819) war. Ausserdem gibt es mehrere Gedenktafeln aus dem 18. und l9. Jahrhundert, bunte Glasfenster von großem Interesse und eine deutsche Walcker-Orgel.

In den Jahren 1998 bis 2004 wurde die Kirche vom HCT unter Ausgabe von £900 000 umfassend restauriet, einschliesslich der Orgel. Am 24. September 2004 wurde das Gebäude von Seiner Königlichen Hoheit, des Herzogs von Gloucester offiziel wieder eröffnet An der Feier nahmen etwa 300 Gäste teil.

Während der NS-Zeit in Deutschland richtete Pfarrer Julius Rieger ein Hilfszentrum für jüdische Flüchtlinge aus Deutschland ein, die mit Referenzen für ihre Flucht nach England ausgestattet wurden. Der führende Theologe und Anti-Nazi-Aktivist Dietrich Bonhoeffer war auch verbunden mit der Arbeit von St. Georg, als Freund von Julius Rieger und Pfarrer in der benachbarten Reformierten Deutschen St. Pauls Kirche von1933 bis 1935. Die deutschen Gemeinden feierten den 100. Jahrestag Bonhoeffer’s Geburt mit einem gut besuchten Gottesdienst in St. Georg im Februar 2006. Und im Juni 2006 filmte die BBC eine Ausgabe des “Songs of Praise” Programms in St. Georg, das die Geschichte von Bonhoeffer und seinem Lebenswerk erzählte.

The London Gallery Quire, directed by Francis Roads, is a popular visitor to St George's, particularly for their carol concerts.
Der London Gallery Quire, unter der Leitung von Francis Roads, ist ein populärer Gast bei St. Georg, besonders beliebt sind seine Weihnachtskonzerte
Events
St. George's is used as a venue for a wide range of cultural and artistic events which include organ recitals, talks, visiting choirs, music-ensembles and exhibitions.

Recent visitors have included:

a) Tony Tucker (author of A Guide to City Churches) who has given talks about:
  • The German sugar refiners of the 18th Century who established a strong presence in the area;
  • "Wren's City Churches - Glorious Steeples and Hidden Treasures”;
  • The treasures of the City Churches.
b) Choirs from Berlin, Dortmund and Dresden, and also the Docklands Singers and London Gallery Quire, and also the youth wind band from Nabburg.

c) The Trio L’Aria from Saxony, ensemble diX from Gera and also the youth wind band from Nabburg

St George's participates annually in the London Open House Weekend and similar events.

On the first Thursday of each month, at 1.00pm, a free organ recital is given by Tim Roe, or one of his associates
Veranstaltungen
St. Georg ist jetzt ein Veranstaltungsort u.a. für Orgelkonzerte, Vorträge, Gastaufführungen von Chören und Musikgruppen und Ausstellungen.

Zu den Veranstaltungen im vergangenen Jahr gehörten:

A) Ein Vortrag von Tony Tucker (dem Autor von “ A Guide to City Churches), über die Geschichte der deutschen Inhaber der Zuckerraffinerien, die im Gebiet um die Kirche im 18. Jahrhundert, betrieben wurden. Er hielt einen weiteren Vortrag über "Wren's City Churches - Glorious Steeples and Hidden Treasures.

B) Chorkonzerte mit Chören aus Berlin, Dortmund, Dresden, den Dockland Singers und dem London Gallery Quire und der Jugendblaskapelle aus Nabburg

St. Georg ist regelmässig geöffnet an jährlich stattfindenen “Londen Open House” Wochenenden und zu anderen ähnlichen Veranstaltungen.

Jeweils am ersten Donnerstag des Monats findet um 13 Uhr ein kostenloses Orgelkonzert statt. Der Organist ist Tim Roe oder einer seiner Kollegen.

The organ case in St George's, in the west gallery. The wooden pipes to the right of the case are used by the lowest pedal notes.
Die Orgel in St. George's, in der West-Galerie. Die hölzernen Pfeifen auf der rechten Seite werden von den tiefsten Pedalnoten benutzt.
The Organ
The organ was built in 1886 by the Walcker family. When the organ was rebuilt in 1937, the case was reused. In 1996, the organ was again restored by Bishops.

Although this instrument has been restored twice, its essential original features and building style have been retained. For organists interested in music of this period, it gives invaluable insight into the opportunities and restrictions which such instruments imposed on the performer.
Die Orgel
Die Orgel wurde im Jahre 1886 von der Walcker-Familie gebaut. Als die Orgel im Jahre 1937 restauriert wurde das Gehäuse wieder benutzt. In 1996 wurde die Orgel von den Orgelbauern Bishop erneut restauriert.

Obwohl dieses Instrument zweimal restauriert wurde, wurde sind seine wesentlichen Merkmale und der ursprüngliche Baustil beibehalten worden. Für Organisten, die sich für die Musik dieser Zeit interessieren, gibt sie wertvolle Einblicke in die Möglichkeiten und Beschränkungen, die solche Instrumente dem Künstler auferlegen.
A page from one of the many
historic books and documents
owned by St George's. Many of these
books and documents are now
cared for by the London Borough of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archive in Bancroft Road, E1 4DQ
020 7364 1290
localhistory@towerhamlets.gov.uk

The most valuable books have been transferred into the British Library
Eine Seite aus einem der vielen historischen Bücher und Dokumenten
aus dem Besitz von St.George.
Diese Bücher und Dokumente befinden sich jetzt im Historischen Archiv der Stadtverwaltung von Tower Hamlets (London Borough of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archive ) in der Bancroft Road, E1 4DQ
020 7364 1290
localhistory@towerhamlets.gov.uk
Friends
The Friends of St. George is open to anyone with an interest in the unique history of the building, German/English cultural relations, local history or anything similar. The activities undertaken by Friends range from being on hand to host events and concerts, through attending such events (either often or occasionally), to just being kept informed of developments in restoration or event-promotion. And of course the Friends help to raise funds for the continued upkeep of the building and its unique interior.

There is an annual membership fee of £5 (€6, $8) which finances mailings and other promotional initiatives. If, however, you are already a Friend of the Historic Chapels Trust and paying an annual subscription, there is nothing to pay for becoming a Friend of St. George's.



To find out more about becoming a Friend or to register, please either fill in the form below.
Name:


Address Line 1:


Address Line 2:


Address Line 3:


Country:


Postcode:


Email:


Please choose one of the following:




If you wish to complete your registration as a Friend of St George's, please send a cheque or international money order for £5 (€6, $8) , payable to "Friends of St. George's German Lutheran Church" to:

The Friends of St George's
c/o The Historic Chapels Trust
St. George's German Lutheran Church
55 Alie Street
LONDON E1 8EB
Förderverein
Jede(r), die/der sich für die einzigartigen Geschichte des Gebäudes, für Deutsch/Englische kulturelle Beziehungen, die Geschichte der Deutschen im East End und ähnlichem interessiert ist, kann Mitglied des Fördervereins von St. Georg werden. Unsere Aktivitäten reichen von der Anwesenheit bei Veranstaltungen (Kartenverkauf, Kaffee ausschenken u.s.w.), der Teilnahme an solchen Veranstaltungen (entweder häufig oder gelegentlich) oder auch nur über Neuigkeiten informiert zu werden.

Der jährliche Mitgliedsbeitrag beträgt £ 5 (€ 6, $ 8) und finanziert den Postversand von Informationen und Newsletters. Wenn Sie allerdings schon ein beitragzahlendes Mitglied des Fördervereins der Historic Chapels Trust sind, kostet es Sie nichts Mitglied des Fördervereins von St. Georg zu werden.,

Wenn Sie Mitglied des Fördervereins werden wollen, oder weitere Fragen haben, füllen Sie die untenstehende Eingabemaske aus.

Name:


Strasse, Hausnummer:


Stadt:


Adresse Line 3:


Land:


PLZ:


E-Mail:


Bitte kreuzen sie an:


Um Ihren Mitgliedsantrag zu kompletieren, bitte senden Sie einen Scheck oder internationale Postanweisung für £5, ausgestellt an "Friends of St. Georg's German Lutheran Church", an die folgende Adresse

The Friends of St George's
c/o The Historic Chapels Trust
St. George's German Lutheran Church
55 Alie Street
LONDON E1 8EB

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the famous theologian and scholar was pastor of the nearby St Paul’s Church from 1933 to 1935. He was associated with Pastor Julius Rieger’s work at St George’s in the 1930’s.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, der berühmte Theologe und Gelehrte war Pfarrer der benachbarten reformierten St. Paul's Kirche von 1933 bis1935. In diesen Jahren arbeitete er zusammen mit Pastor Julius Rieger, dem Pfarrer von St. Georg.
Location
St. George's German Lutheran Church
55 Alie Street
LONDON E1 8EB

Underground: Aldgate East (District Line)
Buses: 15, 25, 42, 78, 100, 115, 135, 205, 254.

Here is a link to a MAP of the area.
Lage
St. George's German Lutheran Church
55 Alie Street
LONDON E1 8EB

U-Bahn: Aldgate East (District Line)
Busse: 15, 25, 42, 78, 100, 115, 135, 205, 254.

Hier ist ein Link zu einer KARTE des Gebiets.
The German school, next to St. George's. When there was a large German population in the area this school was opened for their children. The building has been converted into flats.
Die deutsche Schule, neben der Kirche. Als es in der Gegend um die Kirche eine große deutsche Bevölkerung gab, eröffnete die Kirchengemeinde diese Schule. Das Gebäude wurde vor kurzem in Wohnungen umgebaut.
Contact
For further information about the Friends of St. George's, please contact 07791 062 377.

If you want to contact The Historic Chapels Trust, or book St. George's for a concert, meeting or function, please ring 020 7481 0533 or email chapels@hct.org.uk.

The HCT has prepared an A4, full colour brochure about St, George's (£5.50) and a mug depicting the church (£7.95 incl.P&P). If you are interested in obtaining either of these, please contact the Trust.
Kontakt
Für weitere Informationen über die Freunde von St. Georgs, wenden Sie sich bitte an, +44 (0) 7791 062377, .

Wenn Sie The Historic Chapels Trust kontaktieren möchten oder St. Georgs für ein Konzert oder Veranstaltung buchen möchten, wenden Sie sich bitte an +44 (0)20 7481 0533 oder E-Mail-chapels@hct.org.uk.

An exterior view of St. George's showing the clock tower (still awaiting restoration) and the German School.
Eine Außenansicht von St. Georg mit dem Kirchturm (der noch nicht restauriert ist) und der Deutschen Schule nebendran.
The Historic Chapels Trust
The Historic Chapels Trust is dedicated to rescuing non-Anglican places of worhship of historic or architectural interest from dilapidation or demolition. The Trust's offices are located in the old vestry in St. George's. More information about The Historic Chapels Trust is available via www.hct.org.uk.
The Historic Chapels Trust
The Historic Chapels Trust ist für den Erhalt nicht anglikanischer kirken un d Kapellen von historischen und architektonischen Interesse zuständig. Die Trust-Niederlassungen befinden sich in der alten Sakristei in St. George's. Weitere Informationen über The Historic Chapels Trust ist über www.hct.org.uk zu erhalten.
St George’s hosts a wide range of suitable activities including concerts, exhibitions, meetings and talks etc. In February 2007 Michael Palin gave a talk about his life and work and can be seen here signing books after the event.
St George's bietet eine breite Palette von geeigneten Aktivitäten wie Konzerte, Ausstellungen, Sitzungen und Gespräche etc. Im Februar 2007 gab Michael Palin einen Vortrag über sein Leben und seine Arbeit und kann hier gesehen werden, wie er Bücher unterzeichnet nach der Veranstaltung. BOTH AREA --> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX END OF THE WHOLE PAGE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-->